Thursday, January 19, 2012

Week 1 GIS 4043

This is my first time posting a blog.  I just learned how to tweet not too long ago, so bear with me and I'll take any help.  Thanks

Below is my Countries by Population map for GIS4043.  I did not have any problems in producing this map.  It is just slower using eDesktop instead of my own software.  I haven't had to produce a map for a while.  I'm just used to analyzing data collected from the field.

                     
                               Process Summary Description

1)      I read through the lab before starting.
2)      Downloaded the data from R drive to S drive and unzipped the data.
3)      Dragged all data to ArcGIS.
4)      Opened attribute table for World_Countries, right clicked on CNTRY_NAME selected Sort Ascending.
5)      Highlighted Dominican Republic, right-clicked then selected Zoom To.
6)      Cleared the selection, then zoomed out and panned westward to match example.
7)   With the Select Feature tool, drew a box around islands. After using the selection tool to select the group of islands shown, I opened the attribute table and selected the ‘show selected’ button which showed that 13 of 249 were selected.
8)      Used Identify to find and select Venezuela.
9)      Used the Find to locate Andorra and ISO_NUM 833(Isle of Man).
10)   Determined coordinates for Isle of Man.
11)   With the Go to XY, zoomed to El Salvador, and with the Measure tool, determined the distance east/west.
12)    Zoomed out and finished creating map for dissemination.
13)   Exported final product as a JPEG and backed up to H drive.
14)   Finished answering questions.
15)   This is a refresher for me in that I have been using ArcGis on and off for over six years.  I just don’t have the final piece of paper to show for all my on-line training and experience

2 comments:

  1. Great job! This is exactly what we are looking for with blog posts.
    Amber

    ReplyDelete